Making your move simple
Having an efficient, well-managed move will save you time and money, and also create a smoother transition into your new home.Your move should be pleasant for your family, so everyone can enjoy the new home.
Here are 10 proven tips to help make your move a trouble-free experience from start to finish:
- Set a budget and stick to it.
- Hire reliable movers and be clear about your expectations. Also understand their company policies.
- Take care of the details, such as: shut off or transfer utilities, contact your bank, contact credit card issuers and any other company that regularly sends you mail. Be sure to change your address with the post office.
- Make a packing list. Go room to room and make an inventory list. Organize first by room, then by type of item (furniture,linens, fragile items, etc.). Once you have a full list, use highlighters to color code all items into three categories: keep, sell or give.
- Get rid of everything you don't want or need!
- Start first by boxing things you use less often, such as off season clothes, extra linens, or tchotchkes. Clearly label each box with its contents the the room it will go to in the new place.
- Plan to transport the valuables yourself.
- Prep your new home. If possible, go to your new home before moving day to clean and make sure the utilities have been turned on.
- Show the movers which items you want loaded last, and therefore unloaded first. Have as many items as possible ready to go- this should be almost everything in your home.
- Donate canned goods and food items so you don't have to move them.Organizations can help you clear our your pantry while also helping those in need.