Holiday Safety Tips
The holiday season can be a business time filled with many people and tasks, but don't neglect your home's safety. From decorations to holiday travel, here are some ways to keep your home safe for the holidays.
- Keep children and pets away from electrical cords, decorations, and outlets.
- Check the wiring of your decorations. Insuring there is no fraying and the insulation is good.
- Leave your lights on a timer at night. Especially if you are out of town. This makes the image that you are still at home and can prevent burglary.
- Make sure to keep any possible combustible or flammable decorations away from your Christmas tree.
- Test smoke alarm at the beginning of the holiday season to make sure if anything were to happen everyone in your home would know.
- Don't leave a kitchen unattended while entertaining. When cooking, make sure to keep an eye on the food.
- When lightening a fire place, be sure to clean the surrounding area. Keep flammable materials away from the fire, burning these could cause a flash fire.
- Keep poinsettias well out of reach from kids and animals. These can be very poisonous for both humans and pets.
- Keep up with your home alarm system during the holidays, especially when traveling. This time of year is prime for many burglaries to occur while people are away from their homes.
- Do not put the boxes of big-ticket items in front of your house. This shows a burglar everything that is available in your home.
- When leaving your home, ask a trusted neighbor to keep watch for you. And never advertise your vacation plans to strangers.