De-Cluttering for the New Year
De-cluttering when selling your home is always a good idea, but removing clutter in general is always a good idea in your home. The new year is an opportunity for a clean start and removing the clutter in your home can help. Whether you are selling your home or just trying to get a clutter-free home, here are some helpful tips:
- Designate a specific spot for incoming papers. A certain spot to put them before you are able to file them.
- Start with one "no-clutter" area. This is a spot where nothing can be placed that is not in use and everything must be put away. Once you've got that it can expand to more places.
- Pick up five items and find specific locations for them. These are things you actually use, but don't have a good spot yet.
- Pull everything out of the draws. Separate the contents into three piles: belongs in the draw, belongs elsewhere, and ditch.
- Create a "maybe" box. When organizing, put items that you don't know what to do with, but you aren't finished yet in here. Go through this box every 6 months to re-evaluate the items.
- Keep it going: after decluttering, don't get tempted to go buy new things. For this create 30-day list with the things you do not need, but want to buy. Check after 30-days, and if you still want it, then buy it.